The British jewelry house Child & Child had a brief but brilliant turn as one of the foremost creators of Art Nouveau and Edwardian jewels. Opened in 1880 by brothers Harold and Walter Childs, the duo initially created neo-Renaissance jewelry before beginning their foray into what would become their best known and beloved work: Arts and Crafts enamel and silver pieces made into buckles, brooches and pendants.
Hallmarks of the house include vivid enamel work and whimsical motifs such as peacocks, insects and wings. So incredibly eye catching were the pieces that they garnered the attention of royals including Queen Victoria, King Edward VII and King George V and at the beginning of the 20th century the co-founder of the house, Harold Childs, was granted the Royal Warrant by Her Majesty Queen Alexandra, the wife of Edward VII.
Colors like turquoise, green and blue enamel established the Child & Child aesthetic. Sometimes the enamel would be mixed with gemstones as seen in a brooch where a vivid green enamel snake encircles a purple amethyst. This piece is now part of the Victoria & Albert Museum collection.
The house shuttered in 1915 after just 35 years in business, but the pieces remain collectible and covetable, particularly due to the unofficial trademark of a sunflower between two C’s.