Charles Turi founded his eponymous jewelry firm in 1947 when he returned from a four-year tour of duty with the US Army. Originally a Hungarian immigrant to the States, he held a doctorate in law, but was fated to never really put it to professional use. He was able to parlay his fledgling business to undreamed-of success, drawing on his wide-ranging European contacts. He created pieces that were classic and highly marketable, with the fashion flair that women loved. Lines were sleek, fluid, and curvilinear. Turi used fine quality stones and pearls, with materials like ebony and coral, as staccato accents of color. He sold to pre-eminent American and European retailers and his bijoux could be counted on to be flawlessly executed and strikingly designed, all crafted in 18K or platinum. Despite his passing in 1997, the company continues to manufacture with a corps of a few dozen model makers, bench jewelers, and designers continuing the legacy begun by Turi, where quality craftsmanship has always been a requisite part of the design and construction process.